Past, Present, Future
As always, the Ice Crew has been busy inside and outside of the arena! We want to update you on all of the great events we had the opportunity to be a part of thus far, what’s going on currently, and what we have to look forward to in the future of the ’13-’14 season!
Past: This year, we’ve been able to not only work at the ever-exhilarating home games, but the Crew has been out and about Pittsburgh for different occasions.
• Lemieux Fantasy Hockey Camp: If any of you had the opportunity to attend this charity game, you probably were as excited as we were to be there! The Crew was there to execute a cleaning of the ice between periods and help with the in-arena promotions, but beyond this, we also were quite excited to see former players on the ice! The Crew was happy to be included in this unique gathering benefiting the Mario Lemieux Foundation.
• “Snow Day”: Another event for a great cause was held at a school in Monroeville, where the Crew and Iceburgh visited with the children and had a blast playing games all afternoon. We were grateful to be able to spend time with them and hope to visit again!
• PPG Rink: The frigid temperatures did not deter us from joining Phil Bourque and Iceburgh to skate at the beautiful outdoor rink downtown. We were happy to meet some fans (and future figure and hockey skaters!) and be able to assist in giveaways.
Present: Currently, we are continuing to work on our on-ice skills for the Penguins’ home games. There are thirteen on-ice positions that each have a pattern to follow, which allows the Ice Crew to cover the entire ice surface most efficiently. We all probably have our “favorite” positions to skate, but lately, each of us have been frequently rotating positions, allowing us to be able to experience working at all different parts of the ice for each game. It has been truly fun for all of us to experience the differences in being a “snowplow,” who skates the width of the ice, skating the position of “Benches/Penalty” and weaving through the players and refs, shoveling massive amounts of snow on the position “Bucket,” and “Short Goal,” and scraping the crease for “Long Goal.”
Future: Being a part of this organization gives us a lot to look forward to: more thrilling games and events (not to get ahead of ourselves, but….playoffs!), not to mention it is an Olympic year!
• Olympic Break: Although we have a mere three games at CONSOL Energy Center in February, we have the Winter Olympics in Sochi to fill our viewing needs. The Crew is of course anticipating watching the hockey portion of the Olympics and will be cheering on the Penguins who are able to represent many different countries. Seeing Nancy Kerrigan in the 1994 Olympics is what personally led me to begin skating, so I always become giddy when it is time for the Olympics because of the special meaning the Olympic games hold for me; I know many others on the Crew have similar feelings!
• Playoffs: With the season cruising along, the playoffs will be here sooner than we may realize! Many of us on the Ice Crew seem to note playoffs as some of our favorite memories because of the heightened adrenaline we feel being a part of such riveting action at CONSOL Energy Center. As always, we look forward to that extra magical time of the hockey season in a few months!
We hope you are now caught up on what we’ve been doing and we hope to see you in the future at games and events!